Stewart’s Shops, a family and employee owned company, is under contract to purchase Nojaim Bros. Supermarket in Marcellus from Richard Nojaim, who is planning to retire.
Stewart’s filed applications for a special use permit and site plan with the Village of Marcellus on Jan. 8.
Stewart’s hosted a community forum on Jan. 29 at the Marcellus Volunteer Fire Department, 4242 Slate Hill Road, where we discussed plans and answered questions about the proposed Marcellus Stewart’s Shop.
What would the proposed Stewart’s Shop look like?
The plan is to demolish the existing Nojaim’s building and replace it with a brand new Stewart’s Shop that would be roughly 4,300 square feet with a slightly expanded grocery section and a gas island. It is a model we have explored in several upstate communities where small independent grocery stores have closed. A few recent examples include Frankfort in Herkimer County, Indian Lake in Hamilton County and Port Henry in Essex County.
Click the links below to see more details of our plans for your village:
Here are some examples of exterior and interior images of recently constructed Stewart’s Shops:
Below are renderings of the proposed Marcellus shop and layout
What else to know:
A few people in the community have asked why wouldn’t another grocer similar to Aldi’s want to step in and replace Nojaim’s?
- The village is a vibrant community with an average daily traffic count on East Main Street in front of Nojaim’s of approximately 6,700 vehicles per day, according to the state Department of Transportation. That estimate was as of 2019, prior to the start of the pandemic.
- Grocers such as Aldi’s require a daily traffic count that exceeds 20,000 vehicles per day. Their shop size is typically 22,000-square-feet or larger, nearly double the size of the existing Nojaim’s.
Stewart’s Shops operates 357 shops across New York and Vermont. We are known for our fresh milk, which was voted best in New York at the state fair. Stewart’s chocolate ice cream also was named best in the state.
The company and the Dake family also invest more than $9 million a year back into local communities through our corporate charitable events and donations. An expansion into Marcellus would open up opportunities for organizations in your community to benefit from our charitable giving.
Check out the video below from the grand opening when our Port Henry shop opened in 2020, replacing a grocery store that had operated at that location.
Fresh & Local
Did you know?
- Our milk makes it from the farm into the shop cooler in 48 hours.
- We pick up eggs at Thomas Poultry in Saratoga County seven days a week.
- Most of our hot and cold food-to-go products are made by Stewart’s partners at our commercial kitchen or in the shop.
- Our shops receive deliveries from our plant every two to three days.
- Our company is 60% owned by the Dake family and 40% owned by our employees, that is why we call them partners.
For more information:
Contact: Robin Cooper at Stewart’s Shops (518) 581-1201, Ext. 2110, email@example.com