We wanted to share our continued efforts for greener solutions with you as we celebrate Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary!
You may be surprised how much of Stewart’s is actually solar powered! Stewart’s Shops makes efforts in both our shops and our plant to reduce, recycle and reuse. These efforts include, but are not limited to the recycling of 6 tons of cardboard, shipping in reusable totes, crates and trays, as well as offering a discounted price for purchases of coffee and tea in refillable mugs. We also offer our customers a reusable tote-style bag, which is 99¢ and can be purchased at any location.
More on Our Greener Solutions Efforts:
- In many areas, local farms pick up coffee grounds from their Stewart’s Shop for composting
- Stewart’s 10 Vermont shops are powered by hydroelectricity
- 6 tons of cardboard are recycled every single day
- Stewart’s Shops manufacturing plant has 2,400 individual solar panels on its rooftop, which offsets $40k in energy costs a year. This is the environmental equivalent of taking 80 cars off the road each year
- Stewart’s offsets 75% of the power of 17 locations with an offsite solar location in Halfmoon, NY
- Stewart’s recycles more than four and a half million pounds of cardboard, office paper, plastic, metal, and light bulbs recycled annually
- Our new shops and remodeled shops all feature LED lighting
- To avoid waste, reusable plastic containers including totes, dairy cases, ice cream baskets and bread trays are used
- We sell and encourage the use of reusable coffee mugs. Customers can fill their travel mugs for only $1.20/ cup
- Reusable shopping bags are available in all our shops for .99 cents
- Stewart’s Shops recently made the switch from plastic straws to plant-based straws. The replacement straws are made from corn and are 100% renewable, BPI certified compostable and they are ASTM compliant. In a composting environment, these straws will completely degrade in less than six months.
- We offer two Tesla Supercharging stations, with six charging stations at the Chestertown shop off exit 25 on I-87, just south of Lake Placid. and the Clinton Corners shop, located on the Taconic Parkway, just north of Poughkeepsie, NY