How we help our communities
- In 2013 we will donate $2,250,000 to charitable organizations.
- Our contributions will include monetary donations, products and gift certificates
- Stewart’s Holiday Match customers have helped us contribute over $17 Million to thousands of organizations over the last 24 years.
How does it work?
It is never a question of whether we’ll give, but rather to whom. We try to be as generous as possible to a large number of organizations, but are committed to making the maximum positive impact in the categories we consider a priority. In addition to this reasonably structured program, we also maintain the “crack foundation” to fund those unusual opportunities that may have an especially positive impact on our society. We cannot support these special needs on a continual basis without hurting the overall program, but can provide one time funding so they do not fall through the cracks. In 2013, we will contribute approximately $2,250,000 in the following categories:
|Category||% of total||Category||% of total|
|Recreation/Kids||15%||Holiday Match Program*||30%|
*The $2,250,000 includes Stewart’s match of our customers’ donations during the Holiday Match Program, but it does not include our customers’ donations. Holiday Match benefits children under 18 in the areas of social services, health, education, recreation & the arts. The Dake family, major stockholders of Stewart’s, also contributes an equivalent amount to local charities. Our selection of organizations is based on the following considerations:
- We support organizations that focus on meeting the changing needs of their recipients rather than perpetuating the status quo.
- The size of the contribution is determined by geographic area needs and the number of employees and customers we have in that area, as well as the number of people benefiting.
- We do not make monetary contributions for individuals.
- We have an interest in the area of kids, their recreation and, education. We do not support adult recreation groups.
- We value extensive volunteer support and minimum fund raising costs, avoiding organizations which are already tax supported or have a large amount of overhead.
- We avoid cause-related and religious organizations, as we feel they are a matter for the individual’s preference and conscience.
- We have more than enough specific needs, so we give to those providing a service, as opposed to those supporting a cause, and we save our contribution dollars for people versus animals.
- We support local organizations which may not have as broad a base of funding, or have the wide spread emotional appeal as national health organizations.
- We refrain from secondary giving in which we give to someone, so they can in turn give to someone else.
As a good corporate citizen, we support a local charity at all our new shop openings. We also have a “Matching Gift” program, which will match all donations made in individual shops by our customers for an approved local charity. We provide gift certificates, product donations and discounts for various charitable groups. To request product or gift certificates, please call our Donation Line at (518) 581-1201, ext. 2190. Calls must be made at least two weeks prior to your event date for your request to be considered. We encourage our employees to take an active interest and become involved in their communities, and tend to support their activities. We will match employee contributions to organizations which we are not already substantially supporting. To request a monetary donation, send a letter of request to: Stewart’s Shops c/o Susan Dake P.O. Box 435 Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 To request product or gift certificates, send a letter of request to: Stewart’s Shops c/o Donations Dept. P.O. Box 435 Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 or call the Donation Line: (518) 581-1201 x2190 Please include the following:
General description of your organization or program
Who and how many you serve in a specific geographic area
The reason you are raising the money
The specific dollar amount that you are requesting from Stewart’s
Contact name and phone number
An annual budget
The total amount to be raised
Your group’s 9 digit federal identification #
A copy of your 501c3 letter of approval
If you are requesting a significant donation and have not received funding on a yearly basis, a follow up phone call is necessary approximately 3 weeks following your letter of request. Due to the high volume of donation requests, we are unable to send acknowledgments that we have received your request. It may interest you to know that there are no deadlines (except for Holiday Match); we give throughout the year. Remember, the “best” request is brief, to the point, and will save you postage! Tax Returns and Application for Tax Exemption